Q: Why is my EVO bootlooping? It’s almost like I’m not doing anything, then I look down and my EVO is on the boot screen (Android with the mustache).
A: There are many things that can be causing bootloops at the end of the day. I will tackle several of them, but everyone must realize that some ROMs are going to play nice with their EVO and others are not. If you have more than one bootloop a week, though, you are probably causing it. Not trying to be a jerk, just sayin’… On to the solutions:
- Check your kernel. You must be using Freedom Universal, Chopsuey, Golden Monkey, Poonsense, or the stock HTC kernel. If you are using Freedom for Synergy or God Mode, there’s your problem. If you are using a Froyo kernel (like netarchy), then that will also cause problems. Stick to the recommended kernels for this ROM.
- Check your undervolting. The kernel that comes with Swagged Out Stock runs at the stock voltages. By undervolting your EVO, you can save a lot of battery. However, you this can also cause your EVO to become very unstable – causing bootloops. lithid-cm’s Freedom kernel has a lot of options for undervolted kernels. Use the more extreme options with caution!
- Check your clock speed. If you are overclocking your EVO, this will most likely cause an occasional bootloop. My last EVO bootlooped when I ran it at 998MHz max and Performance governor. Be careful! I have my EVO set at 768MHz and never notice lag – just so you all know.
- Are you using a task killer? This is rare, but probably the only other option that could cause a bootloop.
- Did it happen when you were using the camera or during a phone call? This has actually been reported when using a completely stock 4.54 ROM (unrooted and all). So, blame HTC for this one, not Team Swag.
If your EVO is bootlooping in a very random or frequent manner: do a full wipe and re-flash the latest version of SOS. Be sure to only restore necessary app backups.
If you still notice bootloops… contact Team Swag. We’ll see what we can do. XDA is always the best option, you will get the help of the rest of Swag Nation at the same time.